Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Taking the plunge...and welcome to my blog!

Starting semester two, there will be NO MORE GRADES given in my music courses at Georgian Bay District Secondary School. I am SO excited.

You may wonder why I'm doing this, and I have to admit there has been the odd time throughout this planning process that I've questioned myself, but I always find myself coming back to the question of "what purpose to grades even serve?" If I tell a student they have a 70% in my course, is it meaningful to them? Does that number drive them to improve their learning, or does it give them permission to slack off a bit?

 The goal of assessment is to improve student learning, and I've reached a point where I don't think the assignment of a grade to test, assignments etc., is helping to achieve that goal. Through observations, conversations, feedback and student self-assessment, I think we can throw out the grades (and negative energy/environment that is sometimes created with these numbers) and help our students to focus on their own learning process in order to be successful in any course.

With the help of my friend and colleague Jackie Calder, we've created a solid plan that is student focused and will embed life-long learning, student self-assessment skills, and an emphasis on the creative process, that will benefit students long after my course is finished.

The plan:
Throughout my music courses, students will be given a series of 8 rubrics which reflect the 8 big ideas of the music curriculum. "Can do statements" have been linked to each portion of the rubric, so that the expectations are written in student friendly language. Depending on the task, assignment, area of focus being assessed, these rubrics can be combined or altered. Students will gather digital evidence needed, and link this evidence to where they think they are on the rubric. I will mainly be using Seesaw and Google Apps For Education as my evidence gathering tools. If you aren't familiar with Seesaw, it's amazing and I highly recommend it. As I navigate throughout this semester, I'm sure I'll be writing about it a lot!

After the student self-assessment process is done, conferences between myself and the student will occur, and adjustments may occur to where the student has placed themselves on the rubric. The key to no grades is constant conferencing and feedback, so students are crystal clear on what they've done well, what the need to improve on, and what their next steps might be. Now, by law I must assign a numerical grade for each reporting period (midterm and final). Their grades will be mutually agreed upon between myself and the student, and will be based on the series of rubrics that they students have filled out for themselves, and the conferences we have in class. I will also be making daily observations of students through Google Forms, which students have immediate access to, which can also be used as their digital evidence for certain rubrics. This all sounds like a lot of work, and I think it should be.

I'm most interested in my students' (and their parent's) reactions to no grades. Will they be confused, excited, stressed (I hope not), angry? Through this blog, I will not only be sharing the resources that I'm using throughout my courses, but also my reactions and my students' reactions to what goes well and what doesn't. I'm not expecting everything to go smoothly...what's the fun in that?! My goal is to improve student learning, and I'm going to stay focused on that!


8 comments:

  1. This is such a big leap! I think it would be so exciting and scary at the same time. I'm very excited to hear how students feel about this by the end of the semester - if they feel like they focused more on what they needed to improve in music vs. focusing so hard on the grades. Thank you for being so brave and sharing this exciting leap with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting, Amanda! I look forward to reading about the journey into the realm of no marks and how it (hopefully) encourages a personal drive for learning in students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great initiative, Amanda. This assessment revisioning is a conversation that a few of my English colleagues throughout the Board and in other boards have been having over the past couple of years. Ownership of achievement and honest self-reflection on the students' part will surely generate more than a "mark" in their music class. It has the potential to foster pride in their achievements and respect for their education. Eager to follow your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to see the entire elementary system adopt this philosophy so we can focus on skill development and next steps and not a number! Can't wait to hear about this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea Amanda! I look forward to hearing how it goes and following your progress. I'm especially interested to learn how this could potentially be transferable to math :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to hear how this goes for you! Love having the students think about their own learning and all the conferencing about progress that will take place in your classroom! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Way to go, Amanda! How exciting for you to be taking this approach with your students AND sharing it with the world. Just think of how empowered they will be when they shift to greater responsibility for their learning, because of the focus on feedback. I'm also excited to hear about their peer feedback using Seesaw.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing your journey with us! Congratulations on venturing outside your comfort zone. Lisa shared this quote yesterday in an assessment session we were leading and I thought of you: "Professional development is not professional learning unless it changes the way you think and behave. Real professional learning needs to create push back and challenge for one another; dissonance and discomfort for EVERYONE to work through."
    -Dack and Katz, 2014

    I am excited to learn with you and your students. Keep us updated, please!

    ReplyDelete